June 2021 validated list of SSP Programmes
Please find below the current list of validated SSP programmes, as of June 2021. To find the best SSP programme for you and your school, please select from the options below. Each link includes a brief overview, issued by the SSP programme providers. For more information, please get in contact.
• Bug Club Phonics
• Essential Letters and Sounds
• Floppy’s Phonics*
• Jolly Phonics*
• Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Revised
• No Nonsense Phonics
• Phonics International
• Read Write Inc. Phonics
• Rocket Phonics
• Sound Discovery*
• Sounds Together*
• Success for All Phonics
*Floppy’s Phonics, Jolly Phonics, Sound Discovery, Sounds Together and Sounds-Write did not choose to submit a self-assessment for validation in this June 2021 round and have until 28 February 2022 to do so. More information to follow for these SSP programmes.
A complete systematic synthetic phonics (SSP) programme is one that provides:
• all that is essential to teach SSP to children in reception and key stage 1 years of mainstream primary schools;
• sufficient support for children in reception and key stage 1 to become fluent readers;
• a structured route for most children to meet or exceed the expected standard in the year one phonics screening check;
• all national curriculum expectations for word reading through decoding by the end of key stage 1
‘The school’s phonics programme matches or exceeds the expectations of the national curriculum and the early learning goals. The school has clear expectations of pupils’ phonics progress term-by-term, from Reception to Year 2.’ SIH p87: 293.
'The school's leadership team is confident that their chosen SSP programme will ensure success for all pupils, particularly the lowest 20% pupils. They adopt one systematic synthetic phonics (SSP) programme that they teach with fidelity, consistency and continuity from Reception to Y2.' English Hub Challenge Checklist 2020