Read Write Inc
Key features of the SSP programme
Children learn to read sounds and blend them into words, and then apply this knowledge to read storybooks matched to the sounds they know. They learn to form letters, spell correctly and compose their own writing. Children learn to work with a partner – to articulate what they understand and to practise what they have been taught.
Schools start teaching the programme in Reception and aim to complete it by the end of Year 1/early Year 2. Children are assessed every half term to check they are working in a group that will accelerate their progress.
Read Write Inc. Phonics includes all the resources that schools need to support children in meeting the expected standard in the Year 1 Phonics Screening Check and all National Curriculum expectations for word reading through decoding by the end of Key Stage 1.
Resources for teaching GPCs
– Speed Sounds Cards Sets 1, 2 and 3 – includes an illustration and a simple mnemonic for learning the GPCs, and a handwriting phrase to support letter formation
– Speed Sounds Posters – for quick review of GPCs and for spelling
– My Speed Sounds Books – for take home to practise reading and writing the GPCs learned
Resources for teaching blending
– Magnetic Sound Cards – small magnetic tiles to develop skills of blending and segmenting
– Phonics Green Word Cards – for children to practise word blending for reading
– Red Word Cards – for teaching children to read and spell common exception words
296 carefully levelled books – for applying phonic knowledge to reading, in class and at home
– Sound Blending Books – one-word-per-page books for blending practice
– Ditty Books – short decodable passages, a bridge between reading single words and stories
– Storybooks and non-fiction books – matched to children’s phonic knowledge
– Book Bag Books – matched to the progression of the core Storybooks for additional home reading
Teaching resources, including digital
– Two Phonics Handbooks – include guidance for teaching the Speed Sounds, common exception words, Storybook lessons, writing, spelling and handwriting
– Reading Leader Handbook – guidance for the school’s Reading Leader
– Read Write Inc. Phonics Online subscription on Oxford Owl – files for assessment, handwriting, Green Words, writing prompts, handwriting, and digital copies of the Phonics Handbooks
– Read Write Inc. Phonics eBook Library on Oxford Owl – core Storybooks and non-fiction books.
Training is provided by Ruth Miskin Training. A range of training programmes is available, including a blended package which includes access to ‘Virtual Classroom’ training films. All the trainers are permanent employees of Ruth Miskin Training, experienced at both training and ongoing in-school support, with a particular strength in supporting the slowest progress 20% of children.
Package options/ link to this information
For further information on training:
Tel. 01275 331230
Tel. 01536 452610